If you find this site interesting please make a donation however small to help with
the rising cost of hosting and administration Many thanks - Tim
Hubbards,Nova Scotia is located on the Northern shore of St. Margarets Bay on the
Aspotogan Peninsular, Hubbards is neighbours to the communities of Simms Settlement
Hubbards contains the county line between Halifax County and Lunenburg County and
is located in the Halifax Regional Municipality and Chester Municipal District respectively.
Hubbards is located approximately 50 kilometres west of Halifax on Trunk 3
Hubbards was first settled by a second generation French-speaking Foreign Protestants
John Dauphinee (1757–1835) and his brother Frederick. As with all those who first
settled the east side of the Aspotogan Peninsular, the brothers arrived from across
St. Margaret's Bay at French Village. Their father emigrated from France to Halifax
and then to Lunenburg. Captain John Dauphinee settled on what became known as Dauphinee's
Point. In 1820, John Dauphinee began a lumber mill on Mill Lake.
The origin of the name Hubbard's is probably an amalgamation of the local names Hibbard,
Hubert or Hibbert. (The first School in Hubbards was named "Hibbert's Cove School".)
The Village was Hubbards Cove until the word “Cove” was dropped (1905). The Fitzroy
River which runs through Hubbards may have been named after British Prime Minister
Augustus Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton (1735–1811).
In the earlier part of the 20th century, Hubbards was a successful fishing community.
Hubbards, Nova Scotia has many business's in the area & is a very popular destination