St. Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia -
If you find this site interesting please make a donation however small to help with
the rising cost of hosting and administration Many thanks -
St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia
Peggys Cove is one of the most frequented tourist attractions in Nova Scotia and is a prime attraction on the Lighthouse Route scenic drive. The Peggy's Cove Lighthouse marks the eastern entrance of St. Margarets Bay and is officially known as the Peggys Point Lighthouse.
Peggys Cove has a classic red-
The first lighthouse at Peggys Cove was built in 1868 and was a wooden house with
a beacon on the roof. At sundown the keeper lit a kerosene oil lamp magnified by
a catoptric reflector (a silver-
The lighthouse used to contain a small Canada Post office in the lower level during the summer months serving as the village post office where visitors could send postcards and letters. Each piece of mail received a special cancellation mark in the shape of the lighthouse. However Canada Post closed the lighthouse post office in 2009.
Peggy’s Cove Lighthouse
Peggys Cove Lighthouse
The Swissair Flight 111 Memorial is located at The Whalesback, approximately 1 km northwest of Peggys Cove. It is one of two memorials built to commemorate the victims of the Swissair Flight 111 disaster, which saw the aircraft crash into St. Margarets Bay on 2nd September 1998. The crash site is roughly equidistant between the Whalesback Memorial and another memorial at Bayswater, Nova Scotia, located on the Aspotogan Peninsular on the western shore of the bay, opposite Peggys Cove.The monument reads in English and French: "In memory of the 229 men, women and children aboard Swissair Flight 111 who perished off these shores September 2nd, 1998. They have been joined to the sea, and the sky. May they rest in peace."
The site of the crash and the two monuments form a triangle. The three notches on the monument at Whalesback represent the numerals 111. The sight line from the three grooves in the stone points to the crash site; while the markings on the facing stone point to the memorial at Bayswater. The memorial wall at Bayswater contains the names of the 229 passengers and crew of flight 111. The facing stone points to the crash site.
Swiss Air Flight 111 Memorial
Swiss Air 111 Memorial, Whales Back near Peggys Cove
Peggys Cove can be found 43 Km southwest of Halifax and is one of one of the numerous small fishing communities located around the perimeter of the Chebucto Peninsular. The community is named after the cove of the same name, a name also shared with Peggys Point, immediately to the east of the cove. The village marks the eastern point of St. Margaret's Bay.
The first recorded name of the cove was Eastern Point Harbour or Peggs Harbour in 1766. The village may have been named after the wife of an early settler or taken its name from St. Margaret's Bay as it marks the eastern beginning of the Bay and Peggy is a nickname for Margaret. Two versions of the popular legend claim that the name came from the sole survivor of a shipwreck at Halibut Rock near the cove. It was said that she was a young woman while others claim she was a little girl too young to remember her name and the family who adopted her called her Peggy.In both versions, the young shipwreck survivor married a resident of the cove and became known as "Peggy of the Cove" attracting visitors from around the bay who eventually named the village, Peggy's Cove, after her nickname.
The village was formally founded in 1811 when the Province of Nova Scotia issued a land grant of more than 800 acres (3.2 km²) to six families of German descent. The settlers relied on fishing as the main part of their economy but also carried out farming where the soil was fertile. They used surrounding lands to pasture cattle. In the early 1900s the population peaked at about 300. The community supported a schoolhouse, church, general store, lobster cannery and boats of all sizes that were moored in the Cove.Many artists and photographers flocked to Peggys Cove. As roads improved, the number of tourists increased. Today the population is smaller but Peggys Cove remains an active fishing village and a favourite tourist destination.
The Buoy Shack, Peggys Cove, St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia
Some More Images From Peggy’s Cove, St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia
Traditional Lobster Traps
Old Fishing Sheds
Fisherman’s Monument, Peggy’s Cove, St. Margaret’s Bay, Nova Scotia
William E. deGarthe sculpted this outcropping 30 m (100 ft) granite face of rock
which he named Fisherman's Monument which he dedicated to Nova Scotian fisherman.
He donated the sculpture of thirty-
There’s one landmark that you must see while visiting the area is the Home / Gallery & Museum of Ivan Fraser.
Ivan has created the worlds largest Peggy’s Cove painting, measuring 90’ around and 19’ at the highest point with a total area of 1510 square feet.
Peggy Of The Cove Gallery & Museum, Glen Margaret, St. Margaret,s Bay, Nova Scotia
Peggy of the Cove was the title given to the sole survivor of a shipwreck on Halibut Rock, Nova Scotia, near the famous fishing village, Peggy's Cove. Her story is being developed from legend to reality through song, books, dolls and museum by local author, artist, photographer and storyteller, Ivan Fraser.
Some Of Ivan Fraser’s Beautiful Artwork